Not sure where to start when preparing for your professional headshot? What you choose to wear for your session is the biggest factor in the look and feel of your photo. The perfect outfit can determine the whole vibe of the photo. Here are our best tips t o help you prepare:
- Always cover your shoulders and upper arms! It’s more slimming when they are covered up.
- Medium and dark tones are always best. Color is fine as long as it’s a darker tone. Your eye will always go to the brightest part of the photograph, let’s make sure it’s your face.
- If you’re wearing a shirt with a collar, make sure it is pressed. Even if it is a polo shirt. We need to make sure those points are not curled up or down.
- If you’re wearing a blazer, make sure the top button will button. We know it’s a headshot, but the button affects how your shirt below lays.
Skin and hair care
The goal of a great headshot is to present the best version of you. Amazing lighting and the right angles help a lot, but starting with a great base goes a long way. Our team knows some great techniques to help you look your very best. Here are a few tips for creating a great base for your photos.
- Cut the salt 2 days before your headshots session. Believe it or not, cutting the salt can make you appear 5 pounds lighter!
- Drink lots of water starting two days before your headshot. It really helps with the complexion.
- Scan the face and neck for any rogue hairs in the ears, nose, and brows.
- Guys and girls, the night before your headshot try a moisturizing mask. They can really help with oily skin.
- Have your hair professionally done within a week of your headshot.
Let’s not forget about the necessities! A lot of how you are presented in your headshot will be determined during the session based on the colors lighting in the frame. But don’t worry, we will make sure you know exactly what to pack for your headshot.
- Extra lipstick incase it needs to be reapplied.
- If you wear glasses, bring all your pairs. Some frames photograph better than others.
- Planning on wearing a tie? Bring several color options!
- Bring hair ties if you are planning on pulling your hair back.
- Remember a belt! I know it’s a headshot, but a belt helps hold the shirt in the right place.
- Bring a hairbrush!!!
- Bring hair product, if your hair is misbehaving we can adjust it.
- Bring extra jewelry to take your headshot up a notch.